Wednesday, June 07, 2006

West-ern Remembrance of Human Attitudes

"So it was not until now, when it happened to my friends, when it was my dear Chris and my dear Margaret who sat thus englobed in peace as in a crystal sphere, that I knew it was the most significant as it was the loveliest attitude in the world. It means that the woman has gathered the soul of the man into her soul and is keeping it warm in love and peace so that his body can rest quiet for a time. That is a great thing for a woman to do. I know there are things at least as great for those women whose independant spirits can ride fearlessly and with interest outside the home park of their personal relationships, but independance is not the occupation of most of us. What we desire is greatness such as this which had given sleep to the beloved."
(Rebecca West, Return of the Soldier, p.70)

3 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

makes me sleepy...

6:54 PM  
Blogger Graham said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Graham said...

rare is the heart in which both greatnesses reside...

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home